Welcome to my Book of Mirrors

SIGN MY PETITION:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/redefine/petition.html

This is my spiritual journey. I am looking for the truth of who I am and who God is, unfettered by the traditions prescribed by my family, church and culture.

25 February 2008

'I found God in myself and I loved her fiercely.'

Ntozake Shange

Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Rite Stuff

'Very simple rituals are the most powerful tools for raising engaged, fulfilled, resilient children. Rituals give families a sense of identity, along with comfort and security. They slow down time and heighten our senses.'

-Meg Cox, The Book of New Family Traditions

I read this quote in the December issue of Today's Parent magazine. The last sentence gave me a revelation into understanding why I love Anglican church services, full of ritual, so much. I have not been to many services like that, but coming from a completely different church background, I find it refreshing, a totally different experience of the sacred. I love the way the Eucharist is celebrated.
I have never been to a Catholic service, but I have been told they use incense, and I am sure I would love this too.
Currently, I satisfy myself with the occasional 'bathing' ritual- fill the tub with water just as hot as I can stand it, filled with scented bubbles, and light pure beeswax candles. And imagine that I can't hear the kids getting out of bed...

No comments: