Welcome to my Book of Mirrors

SIGN MY PETITION:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/redefine/petition.html

This is my spiritual journey. I am looking for the truth of who I am and who God is, unfettered by the traditions prescribed by my family, church and culture.

25 February 2008

'I found God in myself and I loved her fiercely.'

Ntozake Shange

Thursday, February 21, 2008

God in a Box

When I visited the Aeta hill tribe (see 'Hill Tribe Magic') I went as an employee of a large religion based humanitarian relief organization. This organisation provided the water buffaloes and water pump to the tribe. They were clearly grateful- almost all converted.

However, I hesitate to sing the praises of this charity because they also bestowed 'the gift of shame.' (see The Simpsons episode Missionary: Impossible)

I was told the native women didn't always wear t-shirts. Who 'opened their eyes' and told them they were naked?

To me, the definition of proselytizing is judging. To proselytize means to assume you are right, they are wrong. To do anything with this motive is the opposite of love.

Perhaps your truth is right for you, and their truth is right for them?

There is , however, one universally acknowledged truth; the Golden Rule. (Even those who break it want it applied to them!)

If everyone stuck to this, there would be no proselytizing. For I never heard of any missionary that enjoyed having his target audience try to convert him.

And if God needs his interests protected by humans, he is very small indeed.

No comments: