Welcome to my Book of Mirrors

SIGN MY PETITION:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/redefine/petition.html

This is my spiritual journey. I am looking for the truth of who I am and who God is, unfettered by the traditions prescribed by my family, church and culture.

25 February 2008

'I found God in myself and I loved her fiercely.'

Ntozake Shange

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Holy Book?

Have you ever been in a Christian bookstore?

I have to say my overwhelming feeling, being in one large Christian bookstore in Langley, B.C. was of being in the midst of the moneychangers at the temple.

I saw jewelry and trinkets, wall plaques and figurines. Posters, CDs and journals. Put together as if they were more sacred and spiritual than any other piece of jewelry, trinket, wall plaque, figurine, poster, CD or journal in the mall across the road.

Some books, of course, were marked 'Holy.'

Come again? A book that has been written, translated and interpreted by men?

Ah, but this book was 'inspired' by the Spirit.

Wonderful! I have shelves of books that I love because I believe they are 'inspired.'

But I wouldn't pay a premium to buy them bound in leather with my name engraved on the front. (Like I did once ten years ago). And I wouldn't worship them and defend them to the death.

I believe that the Spirit that speaks through books is holy, not the book itself.

Interestingly, a New Age bookstore is very similar. Ever been?

No comments: