Welcome to my Book of Mirrors

SIGN MY PETITION:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/redefine/petition.html

This is my spiritual journey. I am looking for the truth of who I am and who God is, unfettered by the traditions prescribed by my family, church and culture.

25 February 2008

'I found God in myself and I loved her fiercely.'

Ntozake Shange

Saturday, October 25, 2008

What's Wrong With Patriarchy?

My father, a staunch defender of the xtian faith, asked me this question and I was too choked to respond. Since then however it has been like a mosquito bite in my mind, irritating me and flaring up now and then.

What's wrong with Patriarchy? What's wrong with hierarchy? What's wrong with slavery? What's wrong with the status quo, god's order in the natural world?

I found a confederate-supporting website with 'quotes' from slaves who reminisced about the 'good old days' when the 'kind master' took care of his poor negroes. I have even read that some Russians look back with nostalgia to the days of communism, when they knew their basic needs would be met by the state.

What's wrong with Patriarchy? My first thought was 'Nothing, if you're a man!' But that is not true. Patriarchy hurts men. White supremacy hurts whites. Slavery hurts slave owners. We are all part of the whole, and when one suffers, we all do.

Any goddess knows that.

No comments: